Youth Sailing Foundation of Indian River County Volunteers
YSF offers many opportunities to volunteer. For those with sailing experience there are opportunities to teach on the water and in the classroom. We use the U.S. Sailing Association curriculum and have many qualified instructors to guide and mentor you. Many of our volunteers have gone to get A1 instructor certification from U.S. Sailing.
If you want the satisfaction that you directly or indirectly contributed to the development of a young Indian River County student join us as a volunteer at YSF. We offer a collegial atmosphere where everyone pulls together as a team in support of our mission to offer free sailing instruction to any child of Indian River County who wishes to participate.
We have teams of volunteers teaching sailing in the classroom and on the water:
- Children sailing the 8 foot Opti pram on Saturdays
- High school students sailing the performance 12 foot two-man 420’s on Wednesday and Fridays
- Adults sailing Trinkas and Mariners on Thursdays.
We have teams of volunteers who build and maintain the fleet:
- For those of you who like to work with their hands we have a volunteer team that builds, repairs, and maintains our fleet of over 65 sailboats and 10 chase boats.
- The group meets at YSF on Tuesday and Thursday mornings year round. A tremendous range of expertise and skills are on display as they do everything from build the 8 foot wood Opti sailboats to overhaul and commission the larger Mariner boats. YSF’s rigging shop maintains all standing and running rigger in Bristol fashion so our boats are safe and ready to go at all times.
We have teams who plan and run events:
- Picnics and awards ceremonies for the children and high school students.
- Fund raising events.
Click here to learn more about volunteering with YSF.